Thursday 23 September 2010

Knit Wits!

Wool is IN for A/W10. Dolce & Gabbana have given the classic Fair Isle sweater a revamp with their chalet-chic collection (see picture, left, courtesy of Net-A-Porter). Prada showed cosy over-sized jumpers cinched at the waist with skinny belts and placed woolly Alice bands over their models' volumised up do's (pictured below). So, my fashion darlings, I suggest you cast aside your preconceptions and get KNITTING!

Knitted gifts make fantastic presents. Not only will the lucky recipient be touched by the personal element and all the effort you went to but it's a good way to save pennies in these less-than-affluent times.

Now, I've been craftily inclined from a young age but I noticed a few years ago that knitting was catching on. Even celebrities started getting their needles out at every opportunity - I remember seeing pictures of SJP, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Uma Thurman knitting away between takes.


A personal favourite yarn and kit supplier of mine is the French brand Wool and the Gang ("WATG") which has been stocked by the fashion-forward online shopping emporium Net A Porter for over a year and Browns Focus has recently jumped on the bandwagon.


Although WATG's kits are rather pricey, I love their playful attitude and the snuggly extra thick wool. WATG also provide ridiculously big needles (see picture, right), which make me feel like a Borrower! I got their XXXL Crazy Sexy Wool 'Foxy Roxy' scarf kit for Christmas 2009 (see pictures above, courtesy of WATG, and right), while my sister was given their 'Lula Hoop' snood. Both look amazing and I am complimented on my scarf EVERY time I wear it! I must admit I feel very smug when I flick my hair and say, "oh this? I made it myself". This always provokes a gasp and further flattery. WATG's website also provides how-to videos and free patterns. Try the mug cosy for your morning coffee run!

I have also discovered a fantastic gem in Exeter: an old-fashioned yarn shop. It is a knitter's haven. The shelves are bursting with a rainbow of wools of various thicknesses. Sadly, I have forgotten the name of this delightful shop but will post it very soon, along with photos of my progress with the chunky cardi I plan to make with the periwinkle blue wool I bought (left)!

Liberty are holding how-to knitting, sewing and crochet classes in their haberdashery department every Saturday right up until Christmas. Click here for more details. If you get learning now, you should be able to knit a cosy scarf for that special someone in time for Christmas!!

I know you're all staying in at weekends to watch the X Factor - it's the perfect time to snuggle on the sofa and get knitting!!

Love,

AB x

No comments:

Post a Comment