Monday 14 November 2011

Manolo Blahnik


It may come as a surprise to you that, prior to summer 2011, I did not own a pair of Manolo Blahnik shoes. Not one. Nada. Then, while strolling down 54th street towards 5th Avenue, I did a double-take as I saw a SALE sign like a shining beacon of hope and wonder and all that is good, sitting in the window of the Manolo Blahnik shop! 

I ended up spending a LOT of time in there picking some out (made more difficult by the fact you can only try on two at a time!). Here's what I ended up buying: 





90% of my heels are pumps of some kind...I rarely wear strappy sandals like these because (1) I'm a Londoner and it's usually just too damn cold!!...and (2) because I have this thing about my chunky ballet calves legs being too muscly (particularly from the side-on angle) to wear such delicate shoes. (My mother has reminded me in the past that I did not, unlike my olive skinned, thick glossy haired [yea, really annoying] older sister, inherit her Asian slender calves...instead I got the more chunky (or, as I prefer, athletic and muscly? Non?) European ones. Great. Thanks, Mum.)

An-y-wayy I actually kinda adore these! (duhhh...otherwise I wouldn't have parted with the cash! Oh on that - they were 60% off!! YES, SIXTY PERCENT!!! A-MA-ZINGGG)!! I love the way simple shoes like these can immediately make a really 'done' outfit look all chic and nonchalant (think Kate Bosworth and Jennifer Aniston - they never look like they're trying too hard and how sexy do Jen An's legs look - when she's actually got them on show and isn't wearing her Justin T uniform of black - when she's flaunting her usual red carpet go-to??). Then there's the black - I think black strappy sandals are the ultimate sexy shoe, don't you? 

The style of the purple shoe was HUGE this year. I guess it was inevitable that I would end up getting something quite delicate as Manolo is known for creating delicate, feminine shoes (think of all the gorgeous creations SJP wore in the SATC series!) but I was also getting serrriously fed up of all the clumpy hidden platform heels - the Louboutins Victoria Beckham wore to the Royal Wedding were the final straw for me. What do you think, my lovely readers? 

Love,

AB x

No comments:

Post a Comment