Monday 21 February 2011

Frankenstein

Danny's Boyle's production of Frankenstein at the National Theatre is fantastic. Rather unusually, Benedict Cumberbatch  (the most recent Sherlock) and Jonny Lee Miller alternate as Frankenstein and the Creature. Given how emotionally draining these two characters appear to be for the actors (particularly the Creature), this is probably a very good idea to keep the production fresh.


I saw Jonny Lee Miller as the Creature and Benedict Cumberbatch as Frankenstein. I have to say I think this is the ideal way round but perhaps that is simply a display of how good they both acted their respective parts - I couldn't image them playing the other's role. 

It certainly isn't an enjoyable evening in the usual sense: the play starts with the Creature emerging naked from a large womb-like structure. He then jitters and jolts around the stage attempting to master the use of his limbs and muscles. Jonny Lee Miller's struggle was so real that it is quite uncomfortable to watch (even when putting aside the fact he's wandering around the stage completely starkers). 

The set design is also beautifully made. In particular, I was captivated by the pyramid of hundreds of light-bulbs hanging from the ceiling. These were dimmed and brightened at the start of the play to reflect the pain of the Creature's muscles as they are used for the first time. I have tried to find you a picture but I can't! I want to cover my living room with lots of different styles of light-bulbs now...or maybe in the kitchen over the 'island'...I think it would look beautiful, modern and very cool..what do you think??

Anyway - if you can get hold of some tickets, definitely go and see this production!!

Love, AB x

No comments:

Post a Comment